'How a song saved me from Comitting suicide'- Fast Rising singer Open Up!

http://dvsl3w2q45hb8.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Sandra-Ifudu-1.gif
24-year-old Sandra Ifudu, niece of legendary singer, Dora Ifudu, is looking to  outdo her aunt in the craft of music by bringing out something special in herself even when she had decided that her genre would be inspirational and gospel music.

A lot of artistes started out doing gospel and along the line, they got distracted and started doing other kinds of songs, how do you intend to remain on the path you’ve chosen for yourself?


I’m passionate about it. I thought about it very well before going into it. While I was growing up, I was mostly inspired by meaningful, positive and inspirational music. There were so many times I was down while growing up as a young girl. These songs motivated me a lot. So I said to myself that I wanted to use my music to help and motivate people. There was a time I felt like committing suicide, just giving up and I listened to a song and it was as if the singer was talking to me and it helped me from such depressing moments. I want to do that for someone else.

Could you share some of those moments when you felt like giving up

While I was growing up, I was bullied a lot because I was ugly. I didn’t know how I was transformed, but I knew and I was also told that I was ugly. I was teased a lot at school and I felt there was no hope for me, because I was very big and very ugly. I hardly went out and was under house arrest most of the time and my sister was so beautiful and slim. I felt like killing myself, but when I listened to these songs they really motivated me.

How were you able to conquer that feeling?

I was growing and I guess my appearance began to change and I started working on myself. My self-esteem also improved. Even if I go back to whatever I used to look like, it won’t be that bad. I was a kid then, I didn’t know how to handle issues, but I’m grown now.

Are you related to the 70’s, 80’s singer, Dora Ifudu?

Yes, she’s my aunty, my dad’s younger sister. She was really great. She was popular those days alongside the likes of Christy Essien Igbokwe and Onyeka Onwenu.

What should people expect from you?

They should expect positive songs with good lyrics which is really lacking in Nigeria.

Comments